So…yeah, we’re 95% Vegan. The other 5%? We just can’t give up sushi. (And occasionally the small bit of parmesan cheese. Occasionally!) And I don’t see that happening any time soon, so…95% Vegan is what we are. But are we feeling better? Hell, yes! Are we happy? Definitely. We aren't sitting around, reminiscing of the old days when we ate meat and dairy with wild abandon, hehe. Though my husband could probably do with a good dose of bacon, I can take it or leave it. I love it, don’t get me wrong, but it was never huge with me--it was just…there. I’d eat it if put in front of me, but didn’t usually go out of my way to have it. Yes. I’m totally serious.
Where is this rambling taking us? Brunch! We have always loved breakfast. A big breakfast on Sunday is a tradition with us. You may remember me talking about how much we love going out for breakfast. We haven’t in quite a while, because, well--there aren’t really any vegetarian/vegan restaurants in the area. Sad, isn’t it? I know! I should totally fill that niche, but running a restaurant isn’t something I remotely want to do, or have any idea how to, for that matter. We’ll just have to open up our search area, I guess. But then again, if we find one, will it be worth it? I’ve heard stories of nasty vegan breakfasts. And I have learned that I can make freaking delicious ones right at home!
This Tofu Scramble from The Post Punk Kitchen has been our Sunday tradition for the last 6 weeks or so. It’s so damn good! Like scrambled eggs loaded with lots of other good stuff. We have it with vegetarian baked beans, roasted potatoes, and anything else we may feel like. I totally recommend it!
Yesterday, I tried a new recipe for brunch, Tofu Rancheros from Vegetarian Times. We loved it! It’s quick, easy and so satisfying. Like all day satisfying, so you’ll only be hungry for dinner at 6:30 or so. And it’s ridiculously simple. It’s from Chef Nava Atlas, the author of Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
serves 6, or 3 so you can have 2 each
2 tsp oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 TB chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, diced
2 TB lime juice
1 (15 oz) can refried beans with green chiles, warmed-set aside
6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Heat oil over medium heat.
Add onion and spices, sauté for 5 minutes.
Add in tomato sauce, tofu and lime juice, then simmer for 10 more minutes.
(Make sure your beans are heated up!)
Now here is where I had an issue with the tortillas. The recipe didn't specify heating them up, but who wants cold, limp tortillas?
We usually fry them up in a little oil till they're nice and crispy, but in this case, my husband
put them under the broiler for 2 minutes per side, then shut the oven off and let them stay warm in there until we needed them. They were good, but we'd still prefer them crispier next time, so we'll go with our usual method. But it's up to you!
Spread the beans on the tortillas, top with tofu/sauce mixture, and garnish with tomatoes, avocado and cilantro. And these are just screaming for some cheese, so use your favorite!
Note: If you want to try this, but aren't in a vegan-type mood, how about frying some eggs on the side, then topping your tortillas with them, the sauce, and the garnishes? Oh yeah, that would be delicious!
This was a great way to have a vegan brunch, still feel happy and satisfied, and didn’t leave us feeling like “Ugh, we just ate tofu for breakfast.” hehe The two changes I’d make, though, are:
A) Crisp up those tortillas first!
B) I think I’d add a little more heat to the sauce, but that’s personal preference.