Beringer Vineyards is having an amazing contest to find the best steak recipe and wine pairing. There are some fabulous prizes to be awarded, as well--right here on my blog! More about that in a bit, but first, a little history.
The Beringer Winery was founded in 1876 by Jacob and Frederick Beringer. Jacob was enticed into moving from his home in Mainz, Germany in 1868 by his brother Frederick--who had moved to New York five years earlier. Jacob left the east coast in 1870 and headed west to Napa Valley and found that the terrain was very similar to that of his native Rhine Valley. Beringer Vineyards is the oldest continuously operating winery in the Napa Valley, and in 2001, the estate was placed on the National Register for Historic Places as a Historic District. How amazing is that?
Now that we have a little background on Beringer, let’s talk about wine and food. Steak, in particular. Now, I may have cut drastically back on the amount of meat my family eats, but yes, we still enjoy a fabulous steak once in a while. Paired with the perfect wine, it’s a memorable and very enjoyable meal. If you’re only going to have steak once in a while, you may as well make it a fantastic one, right?
Steaks in these photos simply, but deliciously seasoned with Oxford Falls London Dry Steak Seasoning, complete with it's own grinder on the bottle:
Beringer is currently running a contest called The Beringer Great Steak Challenge. What’s it all about? Submit your best steak recipe and you could be chosen as one of the ten finalists to compete in the Finale Great Steak Challenge grill-off held at beautiful Beringer Vineyards in Napa Valley and broadcast on national television.
A few things to remember:
- Steaks must be prepared on a standard outdoor grill.
- Each entry must include a recommended wine pairing from the Beringer Founders' Estate portfolio that best compliments the steak recipe.
- Each recipe must prepare for 6 servings & must be completely made within 30 minutes including cooking time.
- Recipe must be composed of beef steak and may include toppings. Recipes will be judged based on the following criteria:
25% Taste Appeal, 25% Wine Pairing, and 50% Simplicity.
One hundred contestants will be chosen from across the US and will then advance to 1 of 10 regional finals. The very best steak recipes will be chosen to compete at one of the 10 regional semi-finals at exctiting food and wine events and venues across the US. Contestants will receive up to $1,000 to travel to the exciting grill-off in their area.
Each finalist in the regional competitions will win a trip for two to Beringer Vineyards in Napa, CA--including transportation, accommodations and exclusive winery tours. How cool is that??
Judges will be members of the Food and Wine world, including Food Network Stars, the Deen Brothers.
- National Grand Prize (Overall best recipe): $15,000
- National Runner-up Prize: $7,500
- National Second Runner-up Prize: $2,500
So what about the prizes I mentioned earlier?
To celebrate the contest being in full swing, Beringer is giving away nine beautiful carving sets. I tested one myself. They’re beautiful pieces, and they made quick work of cutting through this grilled steak. You’ll enjoy them for years to come--imagine carving your holiday turkeys and roasts with this pretty set!
The wood grain case provides an elegant display for the stainless steel cutlery at the serving table. The 12" long utility knife is perfect for cutting poultry and vegetables, and the 5.5" carving fork holds food steady while carving. Triple-riveted handles provide strength and stability. The legendary Laguiole bee, a symbol of superior craftsmanship, is etched intricately into each knife. Includes wooden case.
How do you enter?
1) Leave a comment here telling me your favorite way to have steak. Feel free to link to your favorite recipes in your comment. One entry this way.
2) Tweet about the giveaway--you can do this once a day. Come back here and tell me you’ve tweeted. One entry this way.
3) If you’re on Facebook, you can post this on your wall. Same thing, come back here and tell me in your comment. One entry this way.
This gives you three ways to get entries! The contest will run until Wednesday, July 7th, and then 9 random winners (US only, sorry) will be chosen.
Note: I’m not being paid for my opinion. The folks at Beringer are supplying the carving sets and the shipping costs to the winners.